493rd Bomb Group Museum

Welcome to the Website of:

493rd Bomb Group Museum Debach Airfield, Suffolk, England
Home of Helton's Hellcats Station 152 USAAF 1944 - 1945

Look on the News page to see details of the May weekend and Open Day special featuring Eastern Angles who are presenting 'Somewhere in England'.

The vehicle run in May will also be taking place and camping is available.

Group visits

MVT visit We can cater for groups of any size and age (children must be accompanied by suitable ratio of adults).

If you would like to arrange a visit, please contact us.

Suffolk MVT visit

Fire Station

This is the "Fire Station" before restoration started. To see how this looks now ... click onto the museum page.

Fighting 493rd BG Association

The 493rd BG Museum at Debach is proud to be associated with the "Fighting 493rd BG Association" in the U.S.A.


“The Last but the Best”

Debach was one of the last 8th Air Force heavy bomber stations to be occupied by the American 8th Army Air Force.

Debach is situated 3 miles north-west of Woodbridge with some of the sites located in the adjoining village of Burgh. The pronunciation of Debach was always a problem for uninitiated Americans, who invariably referred to “Dee-bark” – locals have always pronounced it as “Deb-idge”.

This site, hopefully, illustrates to you the history of the 493rd Bomb Group, the restoration of the airfield and memories of the brave men who served here.

Museum Openings

The Control Tower Museum will be open on the last Sundays in the months of April, May, June, July, August and September.
11:00 am to 4:00 pm

Additional opening times - see news page
Entrance free - but donations are appreciated.

Group visits welcomed - by appointment

Please note - the museum site has limited facilities for people with disabilities - wheelchair access to the Home Front building, the Nissen building, the Fire Station, the lower floor of the Control Tower, the Visitor's Centre and a specified washroom with wheelchair access.